2020 Blog, Blog, Digital Blog, Featured
Frictionless E-Commerce with Shopify
The existing customer had invested in a full fledged but heavy e-commerce platform that was slow and costly to change. With Shopify we quickly enabled them to achieve setting up a fully functional e-commerce store in Canada with standard integrations with region specific context and positive revenue impacts.
It all boiled down to identifying an e-commerce platform which
- Is easy and fast to set-up
- Is secure and scalable
- Incur least total cost of ownership
- Provides the convenience to shop on multiple devices
- Customizable as per requirement
We have configured the Shopify built-in theme to meet branding requirements and purchase workflows. Payment was enabled through multiple channels, including credit card, PayPal, and GPay. The store was also multilingual supporting two languages x`– English and French. We were able to go live in just four weeks and provide complete functionalities covering over 500 products delivered with a very cost optimized Shopify monthly subscription plan.
In parallel to building the storefront, the operations team simultaneously enabled
- Adding new products to the online store
- Configuring tax/discounts
- Configuring customer support
- Validating standard reports such as sales reports etc
The merchant had a complicated tax calculation GST, PST, QST across 13 regions which were simplified by the out of the box country-specific tax configuration in Shopify.
Feature Configuration and Customization Details
- Customization of Shopify theme to make the store stand out and look great on web and mobile
- Extended store functionalities such as translation, user review, product quick view and product pre-order using apps from Shopify Marketplace
- Shopify’s own payment provider to accept credit card payments
- Blog publishing through Shopify native blog features to help customers make informed decisions
- Enabled multiple languages from Shopify admin and created separate URLs for translated content
- Shopify Fulfilment Network offered a dedicated network of fulfilment centers that ensure timely deliveries, lower shipping costs, and a positive customer experience
- Shipping suite provides tools to calculate real-time shipping rates, purchase and print shipping labels, and track shipments
- Using Shopify built in tax engine to automatically handle most common sales tax calculations
- Shopify native Notifications Module to automatically sent email or SMS to customers for confirmation of their order and shipping updates
- With minimal effort we have configured Shopify Email to create email marketing campaigns and send them from Shopify
- Over 500 products were imported in a matter of minutes using the product Import feature. More advanced features including associating multiple product images to product and meta data were out of the box
- Advanced store navigation was configured using collections and tags which helped customers to easily discover products of their choice
- Shopify’s analytics and reports provide means to review store’s recent activity, get insight into visitors, analyze online store speed, and analyze store’s transactions
Key components of Shopify platform are
- Partner Dashboard: This provides capabilities including API credentials, track metrics for your published apps, create development stores, and access resources that help you to build your business
- Shopify App CLI: Bootstrap a working Shopify app with Shopify command-line tool
- Shopify App Generator for Rails: A Rails engine for building Shopify apps
- Shopify Admin API Library for Ruby: A handy software to simplify making Admin API calls in Ruby apps
- Shopify Admin API Library for Python: A Python library to simplify making Admin API calls in Python apps
- Shopify Admin API GraphiQL explorer: Interactive tool to build GraphQL queries using real Shopify API resources
- Shopify Storefront API GraphiQL explorer: Interactive tool to build GraphQL queries for Shopify’s Storefront API
- Android Buy SDK: Add Shopify features to Android apps
- iOS Buy SDK: Add Shopify features to iOS apps
- Polaris: Create great user experiences for your apps with Shopify’s design system and component library
Leveraging the above standard Shopify components, the solution was delivered with following storefront architecture.
Relevance Lab Differentiator
Relevance Lab empowers Digital Solutions covering e-commerce, Content, CRM and E-Business. Within e-commerce platforms there are deep specializations on Salesforce Commerce Cloud, Adobe Experience Manager, Shopify.
With a complementary expertise in Cloud Infrastructure, Business Analytics and ERP Integration we help our customers achieve the necessary flexibility, scalability and cost optimization to adopt Cloud platforms covering SAAS, PAAS and IAAS. Based on the context of the business challenge, we provide an end to end perspective in identifying areas of friction and leveraging technology to address the same. In this case there was a quick recovery from Covid-19 induced disruptions and a solution was delivered at a fraction of regular costs with quick ROI achieved. The collaborative approach to deeply understanding customer business problems, ability to consult on multiple solutions and bring in deep expertise to enable the outcome is part of Relevance Lab unique capabilities.
For more details on how we have help achieve frictionless digital business and leverage Cloud based platforms like Shopify for e-commerce feel free to contact email@example.com